St Stephen’s Church

Bennett St,
Flowery Field, Hyde, Tameside

St Stephen's Church.

The central window on the south elevation has now been converted into an entrance. The church is seen here prior to the construction of Steeple View Close alonside the south elevation.

This Anglican Church is on the south side of Bennett St, a short distance to the south of Hyde Junction Station (now Hyde North Station) and it opened on the 11 Apr 1891. The architect was (Colonel) John Eaton Jr (1838-25 Nov 1905) of John Eaton & Sons, Ashton-under-Lyne, who also designed Dukinfield Town Hall. The builder was William Storrs, Sons, & Co Ltd, Stalybridge. It was built with a grant from the Incorporated Church Building Society in the Early English and Early Decorated styles of the 13th century. Significant features include two windows with plate tracery, two cusped lancet windows and a tall steeple.

St Stephen's Church (closed in 2011) is listed Grade II, List Entry No. 1309657.