Church of St Mary the Virgin, Meadow Lane, Haughton Green
This church is of timber frame construction and it was built in 1874/6. This church is of timber frame construction and it was built in 1874/6. The architects were Messrs Medland and Henry Taylor of Manchester who were James Medland Taylor (aka Medland, 1834-1909) and Henry Medland Taylor (aka Henry, 1837-1916). The design was inspired by the nearby Church of St Lawrence in Denton. The foundation stone was laid by its benefactor, James Walton, on Saturday, 11 April 1874 and the church was consecrated on Saturday, 25 March 1876.
James Walton (1802-1883) of Sowerby, Halifax, Yorkshire, was the owner of Haughton Dale Mills (the Wireworks). He was also responsible for building Haughton Dale School in 1858, better known as the Iron School, and a row of cottages named Haughton Terrace. The school was located between Meadow Lane and Worth's Lane with an entrance from Worth's Lane and the cottages were on the east side of Meadow Lane close to the church.
The first incumbent was the Rev. Edmund Vernon Schuster who lived at the nearby rectory of St Lawrence's Church, Vaudrey Lane, until a rectory was provided in 1882.
The church was listed as Grade II on the 14 July 1987, List Entry No. 1067968.
Church of St Mary the Virgin, 24 July 2005.
The lychgate dates from c.1875 and it was also by Medland and Henry Taylor. The slated roof is supported by a timber frame that, in turn, rests on stone walls. The two posts rise from, and are braced to, sole plates attached to the walls. The upper parts of the posts are braced to tie-beam trusses on each side and the eaves and verges overhang the roof trusses.
The lychgate was listed as Grade II on the 14 July 1987, List Entry No. 1356486, and this includes the timber gates hung on iron hinges.
Lychgate, 25 July 2005.
Rectory of St Mary's Church
In 1881, James Walton provided funds to build a rectory on the east side of Meadow Lane on a piece of land known as Wall Bank. The plans for the rectory were approved by Haughton Local Board on the Monday, 9 May 1881. The architects were the same as for the church and their business address was 2 St Ann's Churchyard, Manchester. The builder was Samuel Robinson of Hyde, the firm being run by two brothers. The title deed was dated Monday, 31 July 1882 and this transferred the land from James Walton to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for England.
The last incumbent to live at the rectory was the Rev. Charles Burke. His successor, the Rev. David Smethurst, refused to live at the rectory and consequently, on Wednesday, 7 June 1967, the Church Commissioners sold it to Alfred and Florrie Challenor Chadwick for £4,000. The building was then converted to a restaurant and later to a hotel as well. During their tenure, the interior of the building was extensively altered and extensions were added externally. They sold the building and business in 1988 and by 2009 it was owned by the Ailantus Hotel Group.
Demolition of the rectory commenced on the 6 June 2011 and the work was completed shortly afterwards.
Location of St Mary's Church and Rectory, early 20th century.
|Rectory of St Mary's Church viewed from Meadow Lane, early 20th century.||Rectory of St Mary's Church, early 20th century.|
|Rectory of St Mary's Church, Meadow Lane, 8 February 2009.
The single-storey extension to the left of the rectory and the building at the back are not original features.
|Rectory of St Mary's Church, viewed from Meadow Lane, 1 March 2009.|
Rolls of Honour
The two memorials were remounted in the churchyard in 1980 after the demolition of St Mary's School where they were originally located.
War Memorial, 8 February 2009.
|1914 - 1919 Percy BARLOW Horace BROWN Arthur BIRD Alfred BASON James BIRTWISTLE Sidney DAVIES Albert Edward DOWNS James DOWNS John William DOWNS Harold FRANCE George GEE Kay GILLIBRAND Harry GARDINER Samuel HOWARD Raymond HOWARD Henry JONES Walter JACKSON James KNOWLES Fred KNOWLES Benjamin REDFERN John STANSFIELD Tom STENTON John Pollitt WHITEHEAD||1939 - 1945 Arthur Harold FOLEY Edward Gresswell HADFIELD John KEY Lewis SIMMONS John Henry WILSON|
Rolls of Honour for the Churchyard
Seven casualties have been identified who are buried in the churchyard, five from the Great War and two from the Second World War.
|1914 - 1918 BERRY Richard BRADDOCK Percy DOWNS John William GARDINER Harry HUGHES Thomas George||1939 - 1945 HADFIELD Edward Gresswell KEY John|